Atlanta Roofing Types and Materials
If you are wondering which roofing material is the best choice for your home, then you’ve come to the right place. This article will offer insights into the two most common forms of modern roofing materials- metal and asphalt.
Metal roofs have been increasingly popular lately because of their unique look, durability, and ability to maintain a home’s energy efficiency. Metal roofing can be made in many different colors and styles that will match any aesthetic. One of metal roofing downsides, though, is that installation and repair cannot be completed by just any roofing company. It requires specialized skill and must be completed by a roofing company that has specific expertise in dealing with metal roofs. If you do not have one of these metal roofing company in your local area, it may prove difficult or even impossible to have a metal roof installed and maintained on your home. For those of you lucky enough to have such experts nearby, here are a few more advantages of having metal roofing:
- Strength and Durability- In all types of weather, there are very few roofing materials that can perform better than metal. A standing seam metal roof can endure wind, rain, snow, and even hail and last 50 years or more- that’s more than twice the expected longevity of a shingled roof!
- Unbeatable ROI- A new metal roof offers a great return on your investment when it comes time to sell your home. Buyers love metal roofs! They not only increase your home’s curb appeal, but can actually drive prices up due to the well-known long lifespan of metal roofing.
- Low Maintenance- With a metal roof, you don’t need to worry about leaks, cracks, and damage every time a thunderstorm rolls around. You can relax and let it go out of sight, out of mind knowing that your metal roof is built to last. Mold, peeling, loose shingles, staining, and algae growth are all worries of the past.
- Added Fire Resistance- Metal roofs help to keep your home and your family safe with their natural fire resistance. This can be good for your peace of mind as well as your homeowner’s insurance premiums!
- Energy Efficiency- The reflective nature of metal roofing allows a large amount of sunlight to be deflected away from your property, keeping it nice and cool even in the hottest summer months and saving you money on energy bills.
Asphalt shingles are the most common type of roofing material in America, and they make a great budget choice for homeowners who need a new roof in a hurry. Shingles are easy to install, quite inexpensive, and provide excellent protection from the elements. They also come in many different colors and designs that can be complimentary to any style of home. This level of customizability and function at such a low price point makes for a great bargain with tons of bang for your buck.
The average asphalt shingle is made with a base fiberglass that is then coated in asphalt and covered in mineral granules that give the shingle its color as well as an added weather-resistant barrier. The shingles come in several different grades, with the higher grades being more durable and having a longer expected lifespan than the lower grades. This so-called life expectancy can be anywhere between 15 and 30 years. More benefits of choosing asphalt shingles for your roof include:
- Easy to Repair- Unlike metal roofing, repairs to asphalt shingles are quite simple and inexpensive, since individual shingles can easily be replaced without having to disturb the entire roof. They can be accomplished in a matter of hours for far less than a similar repair on a standing seam metal roof.
- Attractive Aesthetic- Asphalt shingles come in a near infinite array of colors, shapes, and styles, including many that mimic the look of other, more expensive types of roofing material. You can even have them made in your own custom color to match exactly to your home’s exterior color scheme.
- Affordable Price Point- Asphalt shingles are very often the lowest cost option for residential roofing, depending on the grade. The ease and low cost of repairs and maintenance also work in its favor in the long run.
- Lightweight- Asphalt shingles pack quite a punch in a small package. The shingles, despite their durability, are very light and generally won’t require any additional bracing or roof support to be installed.
- DIY Friendly- Asphalt shingles are simple to install, even on unconventionally shaped roofs of any size. Experienced do-it-yourselfers may even be able to install them themselves and save a little money, though this should only be attempted by people who know what they’re doing and have access to all the proper safety equipment.